Sunday, February 27, 2011

tweet tweet!

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Ah… Twitter.  Even I am still trying to figure out exactly what it is.  Yes, I have a twitter account, but what I do not have is the motivation to update it regularly.  Yet, despite my lack of tweeting, the rest of the world seems to be catching on.  The fact is: twitter is everywhere I look.  I am noticing more and more.  I was especially astounded today as I was casually computing while watching the academy awards.  Of course I felt the need to google every movie that won an Oscar, and while doing so, I discovered something amazing.  Google’s results for those films had “real time results” all of which were twitter-related.  Which brings me to my next point… Twitter is an amazing advertising tool.

 

Observe.

 

Trending topics?  Hash tags?  @Mentions?  Followers?  Whatever twitter is, it is part of advertising’s evolution toward social networking.  Companies can use it to find out what people are saying about their product.  AND, they can use it as a tool to literally turn their target audience into a following fan base, without annoying banner ads.  People are following because they want to; the ads are the content.

Also, read this NYT article about twitter's ad plan.  Very interesting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment